- Understanding Selectivity in CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol for MoP Nanoparticle Catalysts Using In Situ Techniques CATALYSTS 2021; 11 (1)
- Acidic Oxygen Evolution Reaction Activity-Stability Relationships in Ru-Based Pyrochlores ACS CATALYSIS 2020; 10 (20): 12182–96
A non-precious metal hydrogen catalyst in a commercial polymer electrolyte membrane electrolyser.
We demonstrate the translation of a low-cost, non-precious metal cobalt phosphide (CoP) catalyst from 1cm2 lab-scale experiments to a commercial-scale 86cm2 polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) electrolyser. A two-step bulk synthesis was adopted to produce CoP on a high-surface-area carbon support that was readily integrated into an industrial PEM electrolyser fabrication process. The performance of the CoP was compared head to head with a platinum-based PEM under the same operating conditions (400psi, 50°C). CoP was found to be active and stable, operating at 1.86Acm-2 for>1,700h of continuous hydrogen production while providing substantial material cost savings relative to platinum. This work illustrates a potential pathway for non-precious hydrogen evolution catalysts developed in past decades to translate to commercial applications.
View details for DOI 10.1038/s41565-019-0550-7
View details for PubMedID 31611657
- Transition Metal-Modified Exfoliated Zirconium Phosphate as an Electrocatalyst for the Oxygen Evolution Reaction ACS APPLIED ENERGY MATERIALS 2019; 2 (5): 3561–67
- Development of Molybdenum Phosphide Catalysts for Higher Alcohol Synthesis from Syngas by Exploiting Support and Promoter Effects ENERGY TECHNOLOGY 2019; 7 (5)
- Revealing the Synergy between Oxide and Alloy Phases on the Performance of Bimetallic In-Pd Catalysts for CO2 Hydrogenation to Methanol ACS CATALYSIS 2019; 9 (4): 3399–3412