Jeff is an engineer and systems-thinker pursuing research at the intersection of energy, economy, and environment. Previously, Jeff has published on the environmental benefits and costs of large ecosystem restoration projects. Currently, as a PhD student in Dr. Adam Brandt's Energy Assessment and Optimization research group, Jeff is using life cycle assessment tools to better understand impacts and trade-offs of energy technologies.
Jeff is also the Editor-in-Chief and a frequent writer for the Stanford Energy Journal (website: https://sej.stanford.edu/)
Education & Certifications
M.S., Louisiana State University, Oceanography and Coastal Science (2017)
B.S., University of Alberta, Mechanical Engineering (2015)
Adam Brandt, Doctoral (Program)
Current Research and Scholarly Interests
For his PhD research, Jeff is using bottom-up life cycle assessment (LCA) tools to evaluate the climate and energy intensity of energy projects. Specifically, using the Oil Production and Greenhouse-Gas Emissions Estimator (OPGEE, an open source LCA tool), Jeff is estimating the environmental impact of a sample of natural gas projects globally. Necessarily, this requires the rigorous quantification of life cycle energy consumption and fugitive emissions.
- Evaluating trade-offs of a large, infrequent sediment diversion for restoration of a forested wetland in the Mississippi delta ESTUARINE COASTAL AND SHELF SCIENCE 2018; 203: 80–89
- The Energy Pillars of Society: Perverse Interactions of Human Resource Use, the Economy, and Environmental Degradation BioPhysical Economics and Resource Quality 2018; 3 (2)
- Comparing Carbon Intensity of Unconventional and Asia Pacific Oil Production SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition Society of Petroleum Engineers. 2018
- Carbon Intensity: Comparing Carbon Impacts of Middle East and US Shale Oils SPE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Annual Technical Symposium and Exhibition 2018
- Energy and Climate – Global Trends and Their Implications for Delta Restoration Mississippi Delta Restoration edited by Day, J. W. Springer. 2017
- The Costs and Sustainability of Ongoing Efforts to Restore and Protect Louisiana’s Coast Mississippi Delta Restoration edited by Day, J. W. Springer. 2017
- Large infrequently operated river diversions for Mississippi delta restoration ESTUARINE COASTAL AND SHELF SCIENCE 2016; 183: 292–303