Jeff is an engineer and systems-thinker pursuing research at the intersection of energy, economy, and environment. Previously, Jeff has published on the environmental benefits and costs of large ecosystem restoration projects. Currently, as a PhD student in Dr. Adam Brandt's Energy Assessment and Optimization research group, Jeff is using life cycle assessment tools to better understand impacts and trade-offs of energy technologies.
Jeff is also the Editor-in-Chief and a frequent writer for the Stanford Energy Journal (website: https://sej.stanford.edu/)
Education & Certifications
M.S., Louisiana State University, Oceanography and Coastal Science (2017)
B.S., University of Alberta, Mechanical Engineering (2015)
Current Research and Scholarly Interests
For his PhD research, Jeff is using bottom-up life cycle assessment (LCA) tools to evaluate the climate and energy intensity of energy projects. Specifically, using the Oil Production and Greenhouse-Gas Emissions Estimator (OPGEE, an open source LCA tool), Jeff is estimating the environmental impact of a sample of natural gas projects globally. Necessarily, this requires the rigorous quantification of life cycle energy consumption and fugitive emissions.
- Statistical proxy modeling for life cycle assessment and energetic analysis ENERGY 2020; 194
- Assessment of the impacts of process-level energy efficiency improvement on greenhouse gas mitigation potential in the petroleum refining sector ENERGY 2020; 191
- Evaluating trade-offs of a large, infrequent sediment diversion for restoration of a forested wetland in the Mississippi delta ESTUARINE COASTAL AND SHELF SCIENCE 2018; 203: 80–89
- The Energy Pillars of Society: Perverse Interactions of Human Resource Use, the Economy, and Environmental Degradation BioPhysical Economics and Resource Quality 2018; 3 (2)
- Comparing Carbon Intensity of Unconventional and Asia Pacific Oil Production SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition Society of Petroleum Engineers. 2018
- Energy and Climate – Global Trends and Their Implications for Delta Restoration Mississippi Delta Restoration edited by Day, J. W. Springer. 2017
- The Costs and Sustainability of Ongoing Efforts to Restore and Protect Louisiana’s Coast Mississippi Delta Restoration edited by Day, J. W. Springer. 2017
- Large infrequently operated river diversions for Mississippi delta restoration ESTUARINE COASTAL AND SHELF SCIENCE 2016; 183: 292–303
- Carbon Intensity: Comparing Carbon Impacts of Middle East and US Shale Oils SPE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Annual Technical Symposium and Exhibition 2018