Kevin was raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, and is currently a PhD candidate in the department of Energy Science and Engineering as a member of the Stanford Energy Control Lab, under the direction of Prof. Simona Onori. Broadly speaking, his work seeks to view lithium-ion energy storage beyond a "bucket of electrons" resource; as such, his research interests span electrochemical aging models, characterization of lithium-ion battery applications, laboratory experiment design, and optimal and learning-based control. Before starting the PhD, he worked in industry as an engineer responsible for designing, deploying, and maintaining grid-scale energy storage systems, and as a consultant working in the intersection of smart grids and energy policy.
Education & Certifications
M.S., Stanford University, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Atmosphere and Energy (2016)
B.S., Stanford University, Engineering Physics, Renewable Energy concentration (2014)
Swimming (2022 Bridge to Bridge 10K champion; 2021 Alcatraz Swim with the Centurions 2nd place; numerous other open-water top-10 finishes including the Waikiki Roughwater Swim)
Music (arranger, baritone saxophone, background vocals in various bands. Completed the Introductory Piano (MUSIC 12A/B/C) series!)
Cooking (and eating said food)
Current Research and Scholarly Interests
grid-scale energy storage, microgrids, electrochemical models, optimization, machine learning
Senior Consultant, Grid Engineering, Strategen (2018 - 2019)
Applying engineering knowledge to technical analysis and modelling for decarbonization and modernization of the electric grid.
- Modelling dispatch optimization and analyzing economic value of behind-the-meter and front-of-meter energy storage.
- Analysis and valuation of smart inverters and other distributed energy resources (DERs).
- Informing policy and regulation with technical expertise, for the integration of renewable energy into a smart and dynamic electric grid.
Senior Systems Engineer, Geli (2016 - 2018)
Project engineering and technical project management for intelligent battery systems, in an energy storage startup.
- Designed, tested, and commissioned energy storage solutions.
- Deployed the first live production site successfully using Geli's Demand Charge Management and Backup Power algorithms.
- Developed software drivers, integrating energy storage system hardware with the Geli platform.
- Wrote and compiled technical documentation on processes and project development (single-line diagrams, communications diagrams, process workflows).
San Francisco, CA
Optimal Control of Microgrid Lithium-ion Energy Storage using Pontryagin’s Minimum Principle
2022 American Control Conference (ACC)
View details for DOI 10.23919/ACC53348.2022.9867603
Characterization and Synthesis of Duty Cycles for Battery Energy Storage Used in Peak Shaving Dispatch
ASME Letters in Dynamic Systems and Control
View details for DOI 10.1115/1.4050192
Design and validation of synthetic duty cycles for grid energy storage dispatch using lithium-ion batteries
Advances in Applied Energy
2021; 4: 100065
View details for DOI 10.1016/j.adapen.2021.100065
An OpenAI-OpenDSS framework for reinforcement learning on distribution-level microgrids
2021 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM)
View details for DOI 10.1109/PESGM46819.2021.9638106
- Smart Inverter Interoperability Standards and Open Testing Framework to Support High-Penetration Distributed Photovoltaics and Storage California Energy Commission. 2020
- Analysis Report of Wholesale Energy Market Participation by Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) in California California Energy Commission. 2018
100% Clean and renewable wind, water, and sunlight all-sector energy roadmaps for 139 countries of the world
2017; 1 (1): 108-121
View details for DOI 10.1016/j.joule.2017.07.005
- Integrated Solar PV, Vanadium Redox Flow Battery, and Microgrid Demonstration Project California Energy Commission. 2017
Assessing Climate Change Vulnerability of Microgrid Systems
View details for Web of Science ID 000399937904006