I am a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Prakash Lab at the Department of Bioengineering at Stanford. I am an experimentalist by training and I am currently working on fluid physics problems in a biological context.
I was previously at the Physics of Fluids Group at the University of Twente, The Netherlands, where I received a PhD in Applied Physics (2013) for my thesis on 'Light particles in turbulence'. My research was supervised by Professor Detlef Lohse and Professor Chao Sun.
I obtained an M.S. in Engineering Mechanics (2010) at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore, India. My master thesis research was on laboratory modelling of mantle convection. My research was supervised jointly by Professor K. R. Sreenivas at the Engineering Mechanics Unit, JNCASR and Professor Jaywant H. Arakeri at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
I received a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering (2008) from R. V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India.
Honors & Awards
Milton van Dyke Award (Video), APS/DFD (2016)
First place, Nikon Small World in Motion Competition (2016)
Image of distinction, Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition (2016)
Honorable mention, Nikon Small World in Motion Competition (2015)
Video Abstract Prize, New Journal of Physics (NJP) (based on a world-wide public voting contest) (2013)
Featured in NJP Research Highlights - 2012, 2013, New Journal of Physics (NJP) (2012, 2013)
Jury's Choice Poster Award, Hands-On Research in Complex Systems School, Shanghai, China (2012)
'Best Outgoing Student' award in Mechanical Engineering, RV College of Engineering, Cognizant Technology Solutions (2007)
`Potential Manager' award for the best student in Mech. Engineering, RV College of Engineering, LG electronics (2006)
Summer Research Fellowship (undergraduate), JNCASR, Bangalore (2005, 2006)
Doctor of Philosophy, Universiteit Twente (2013)
Master of Science, JNCASR, Bangalore, India, Fluid Mechanics (2010)
Bachelor of Engineering, RV College of Engineering (2008)
Manu Prakash, Postdoctoral Faculty Sponsor
- Vortex arrays and ciliary tangles underlie the feeding-swimming trade-off in starfish larvae NATURE PHYSICS 2017; 13 (4): 380-386
- The role of viscosity contrast on plume structure in laboratory modeling of mantle convection CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE 2017; 158: 245-256
- Energy spectra in turbulent bubbly flows JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 2016; 791: 174-190
Wake-Driven Dynamics of Finite-Sized Buoyant Spheres in Turbulence
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS
2015; 115 (12): 124501
View details for DOI 10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.124501
- The clustering morphology of freely rising deformable bubbles JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 2013; 721
Light particles in turbulence (PhD thesis)
University of Twente. 2013
View details for DOI 10.3990/1.9789036507240
- How gravity and size affect the acceleration statistics of bubbles in turbulence NEW JOURNAL OF PHYSICS 2012; 14
- Lagrangian statistics of light particles in turbulence PHYSICS OF FLUIDS 2012; 24 (5)
- Three-dimensional Lagrangian Voronoi analysis for clustering of particles and bubbles in turbulence JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS 2012; 693: 201-215