Education & Certifications
M.A Sc., University of Waterloo, Mechanical Engineering (2021)
B.A Sc., University of Waterloo, Mechanical Engineering (2017)
A versatile pressure-cell design for studying ultrafast molecular-dynamics in supercritical fluids using coherent multi-pulse x-ray scattering.
The Review of scientific instruments
2024; 95 (1)
Supercritical fluids (SCFs) can be found in a variety of environmental and industrial processes. They exhibit an anomalous thermodynamic behavior, which originates from their fluctuating heterogeneous micro-structure. Characterizing the dynamics of these fluids at high temperature and high pressure with nanometer spatial and picosecond temporal resolution has been very challenging. The advent of hard x-ray free electron lasers has enabled the development of novel multi-pulse ultrafast x-ray scattering techniques, such as x-ray photon correlation spectroscopy (XPCS) and x-ray pump x-ray probe (XPXP). These techniques offer new opportunities for resolving the ultrafast microscopic behavior in SCFs at unprecedented spatiotemporal resolution, unraveling the dynamics of their micro-structure. However, harnessing these capabilities requires a bespoke high-pressure and high-temperature sample system that is optimized to maximize signal intensity and address instrument-specific challenges, such as drift in beamline components, x-ray scattering background, and multi-x-ray-beam overlap. We present a pressure cell compatible with a wide range of SCFs with built-in optical access for XPCS and XPXP and discuss critical aspects of the pressure cell design, with a particular focus on the design optimization for XPCS.
View details for DOI 10.1063/5.0158497
View details for PubMedID 38170817
- Autonomous screening of complex phase spaces using Bayesian optimization for SAXS measurements NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTS & METHODS IN PHYSICS RESEARCH SECTION A-ACCELERATORS SPECTROMETERS DETECTORS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT 2023; 1057
- Improving volume-averaged simulations of matrix-stabilized combustion through direct X-ray μCT characterization: Application to NH<sub>3 </sub>/H<sub>2</sub>-air combustion COMBUSTION AND FLAME 2023; 257
- Experimental and numerical investigation of flame stabilization and pollutant formation in matrix stabilized ammonia-hydrogen combustion COMBUSTION AND FLAME 2023; 250
- Mean Velocity Scaling of High-Speed Turbulent Flows Under Nonadiabatic Wall Conditions AIAA JOURNAL 2022
- A fuzzy cluster method for turbulent/non-turbulent interface detection EXPERIMENTS IN FLUIDS 2021; 62 (4)