Clinical Focus


  • Anesthesia

Professional Education


  • Residency: Stanford University Anesthesiology Residency (2019) CA
  • Internship: University of Chicago Medical Center Internal Medicine Residency (2016) IL
  • Medical Education: Pritzker School of Medicine University of Chicago Registrar (2015) IL
  • Internship, The University of Chicago, Internal Medicine (2016)
  • MD, The University of Chicago, Medicine (2015)
  • PhD, The University of Chicago, Computational Neuroscience (2012)
  • BA, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Chemistry (2007)
  • BS, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Computer Science (2007)

All Publications


  • Association Between Preoperative Benzodiazepine Use and Postoperative Opioid Use and Health Care Costs. JAMA network open Rishel, C. A., Zhang, Y., Sun, E. C. 2020; 3 (10): e2018761

    Abstract

    Importance: The association between preoperative benzodiazepine use and long-term postoperative outcomes is not well understood.Objective: To characterize the association between preoperative benzodiazepine use and postoperative opioid use and health care costs.Design, Setting, and Participants: In this cohort study, retrospective analysis of private health insurance claims data on 946 561 opioid-naive patients (no opioid prescriptions filled in the year before surgery) throughout the US was conducted. Patients underwent 1 of 11 common surgical procedures between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2016; data analysis was performed January 9, 2020.Exposures: Benzodiazepine use, defined as long term (≥10 prescriptions filled or ≥120 days supplied in the year before surgery) or intermittent (any use not meeting the criteria for long term).Main Outcomes and Measures: The primary outcome was opioid use 91 to 365 days after surgery. Secondary outcomes included opioid use 0 to 90 days after surgery and health care costs 0 to 30 days after surgery.Results: In this sample of 946 561 patients, the mean age was 59.8 years (range, 18-89 years); 615 065 were women (65.0%). Of these, 23 484 patients (2.5%) met the criteria for long-term preoperative benzodiazepine use and 47 669 patients (5.0%) met the criteria for intermittent use. After adjusting for confounders, long-term (odds ratio [OR], 1.59; 95% CI, 1.54-1.65; P<.001) and intermittent (OR, 1.47; 95% CI, 1.44-1.51; P<.001) benzodiazepine use were associated with an increased probability of any opioid use during postoperative days 91 to 365. For patients who used opioids in postoperative days 91 to 365, long-term benzodiazepine use was associated with a 44% increase in opioid dose (additional 0.6 mean daily morphine milligram equivalents [MMEs]; 95% CI, 0.3-0.8 MMEs; P<.001), although intermittent benzodiazepine use was not significantly different (0.0 average daily MMEs; 95% CI, -0.2 to 0.2 MMEs; P=.65). Preoperative benzodiazepine use was also associated with increased opioid use in postoperative days 0 to 90 for both long-term (32% increase, additional 1.9 average daily MMEs; 95% CI, 1.6-2.1 MMEs; P<.001) and intermittent (9% increase, additional 0.5 average daily MMEs; 95% CI, 0.4-0.6 MMEs; P<.001) users. Intermittent benzodiazepine use was associated with an increase in 30-day health care costs ($1155; 95% CI, $938-$1372; P<.001), while no significant difference was observed for long-term benzodiazepine use.Conclusions and Relevance: The findings of this study suggest that, among opioid-naive patients, preoperative benzodiazepine use may be associated with an increased risk of developing long-term opioid use and increased opioid dosages postoperatively, and also may be associated with increased health care costs.

    View details for DOI 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.18761

    View details for PubMedID 33107919

  • Association of Overlapping Surgery With Perioperative Outcomes. JAMA Sun, E. n., Mello, M. M., Rishel, C. A., Vaughn, M. T., Kheterpal, S. n., Saager, L. n., Fleisher, L. A., Damrose, E. J., Kadry, B. n., Jena, A. B. 2019; 321 (8): 762–72

    Abstract

    Overlapping surgery, in which more than 1 procedure performed by the same primary surgeon is scheduled so the start time of one procedure overlaps with the end time of another, is of concern because of potential adverse outcomes.To determine the association between overlapping surgery and mortality, complications, and length of surgery.Retrospective cohort study of 66 430 operations in patients aged 18 to 90 years undergoing total knee or hip arthroplasty; spine surgery; coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery; and craniotomy at 8 centers between January 1, 2010, and May 31, 2018. Patients were followed up until discharge.Overlapping surgery (≥2 operations performed by the same surgeon in which ≥1 hour of 1 case, or the entire case for those <1 hour, occurs when another procedure is being performed).Primary outcomes were in-hospital mortality or complications (major: thromboembolic event, pneumonia, sepsis, stroke, or myocardial infarction; minor: urinary tract or surgical site infection) and surgery duration.The final sample consisted of 66 430 operations (mean patient age, 59 [SD, 15] years; 31 915 women [48%]), of which 8224 (12%) were overlapping. After adjusting for confounders, overlapping surgery was not associated with a significant difference in in-hospital mortality (1.9% overlapping vs 1.6% nonoverlapping; difference, 0.3% [95% CI, -0.2% to 0.7%]; P = .21) or risk of complications (12.8% overlapping vs 11.8% nonoverlapping; difference, 0.9% [95% CI, -0.1% to 1.9%]; P = .08). Overlapping surgery was associated with increased surgery length (204 vs 173 minutes; difference, 30 minutes [95% CI, 24 to 37 minutes]; P < .001). Overlapping surgery was significantly associated with increased mortality and increased complications among patients having a high preoperative predicted risk for mortality and complications, compared with low-risk patients (mortality: 5.8% vs 4.7%; difference, 1.2% [95% CI, 0.1% to 2.2%]; P = .03; complications: 29.2% vs 27.0%; difference, 2.3% [95% CI, 0.3% to 4.3%]; P = .03).Among adults undergoing common operations, overlapping surgery was not significantly associated with differences in in-hospital mortality or postoperative complication rates but was significantly associated with increased surgery length. Further research is needed to understand the association of overlapping surgery with these outcomes among specific patient subgroups.

    View details for PubMedID 30806696

  • Association of Early Physical Therapy With Long-term Opioid Use Among Opioid-Naive Patients With Musculoskeletal Pain Jama Network Open Sun, E. C., Moshfegh, J., Rishel, C. A., Cook, C. E., Goode, A. P., George, S. Z. 2018; 1 (8)
  • Independent Category and Spatial Encoding in Parietal Cortex NEURON Rishel, C. A., Huang, G., Freedman, D. J. 2013; 77 (5): 969–79

    Abstract

    The posterior parietal cortex plays a central role in spatial functions, such as spatial attention and saccadic eye movements. However, recent work has increasingly focused on the role of parietal cortex in encoding nonspatial cognitive factors such as visual categories, learned stimulus associations, and task rules. The relationship between spatial encoding and nonspatial cognitive signals in parietal cortex, and whether cognitive signals are robustly encoded in the presence of strong spatial neuronal responses, is unknown. We directly compared nonspatial cognitive and spatial encoding in the lateral intraparietal (LIP) area by training monkeys to perform a visual categorization task during which they made saccades toward or away from LIP response fields (RFs). Here we show that strong saccade-related responses minimally influence robustly encoded category signals in LIP. This suggests that cognitive and spatial signals are encoded independently in LIP and underscores the role of parietal cortex in nonspatial cognitive functions.

    View details for DOI 10.1016/j.neuron.2013.01.007

    View details for Web of Science ID 000316162600016

    View details for PubMedID 23473325

    View details for PubMedCentralID PMC3740737