- Tuning Fluorination of Linear Carbonate for Lithium-Ion Batteries JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 2022; 169 (4)
- Catalytic open-circuit passivation by thin metal oxide films of p-Si anodes in aqueous alkaline electrolytes ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE 2021
Understanding the Stability of Etched or Platinized p-GaInP Photocathodes for Solar-Driven H2 Evolution.
ACS applied materials & interfaces
The long-term stability in acidic or alkaline aqueous electrolytes of p-Ga0.52In0.48P photocathodes, with a band gap of 1.8 eV, for the solar-driven hydrogen-evolution reaction (HER) has been evaluated from a thermodynamic, kinetic, and mechanistic perspective. At either pH 0 or pH 14, etched p-GaInP electrodes corroded cathodically under illumination and formed metallic In0 on the photoelectrode surface. In contrast, under the same conditions, electrodeposition of Pt facilitated the HER kinetics and stabilized p-GaInP/Pt photoelectrodes against such cathodic decomposition. When held at 0 V versus the reversible hydrogen electrode, p-GaInP/Pt electrodes in either pH = 0 or pH = 14 exhibited stable current densities (J) of -9 mA cm-2 for hundreds of hours under simulated 1 sun illumination. During the stability tests, the current density-potential (J-E) characteristics of the p-GaInP/Pt photoelectrodes degraded due to pH-dependent changes in the surface chemistry of the photocathode. This work provides a fundamental understanding of the stability and corrosion mechanisms of p-GaInP photocathodes that constitute a promising top light absorber for tandem solar-fuel generators.
View details for DOI 10.1021/acsami.1c18243
View details for PubMedID 34821500
- Investigations of the stability of etched or platinized p-InP(100) photocathodes for solar-driven hydrogen evolution in acidic or alkaline aqueous electrolytes ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE 2021
- Mixed Metal Oxide Electrodes and the Chlorine Evolution Reaction JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 2021; 125 (38): 20745-20761
- Investigations of the stability of GaAs for photoelectrochemical H-2 evolution in acidic or alkaline aqueous electrolytes JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY A 2021; 9 (40): 22958-22972
- Origin of the Electrical Barrier in Electrolessly Deposited Platinum Nanoparticles on p-Si Surfaces JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 2021; 125 (32): 17660-17670
- Cathodic NH(4)(+)leaching of nitrogen impurities in CoMo thin-film electrodes in aqueous acidic solutions SUSTAINABLE ENERGY & FUELS 2020; 4 (10): 5080-5087