I taught in the Department of Linguistics from 1972 to 2006 and still teach the occasional course. Over the years, I've spent a total of five years in West Africa, including two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Niger, two years in research and teaching in Nigeria, and a year or research and teaching in Cote d'Ivoire.
My main research interests are in linguistic tone and intonation, the structure of English vocabulary, African linguistics, and the use of language in advertising and in brand names.
After many years of consulting for Lexicon Branding, Inc., I'm now chair emeritus of Lexicon's linguistics program.
Emeritus Faculty, Acad Council, Linguistics
Honors & Awards
Dean’s Award for Distinguished Teaching, Stanford University (1977)
Officier de l’Ordre du Mérite Ivoirien, République de Côte d'Ivoire (2014)
Ph.D., M.I.T., Linguistics (1973)
M.A., Northwestern U, Linguistics (1968)
B.A., Boston College, Modern Language (1965)
Current Research and Scholarly Interests
"Introduction to the Languages of the World," 2nd ed. With Brett Kessler for Oxford University Press.
"Tone and length in Mende," for a memorial volume for Russ Schuh.
"Tone systems" with Larry M. Hyman for "Handbook of Prosody," Oxford University Press.
"Advertising and the Language of Persuasion," a book for Oxford University Press based on my spring 2016-17 Stanford course
With Brett Kessler, the third edition of "English Vocabulary Elements," also for Oxford University Press..
- Introduction to the Languages of the World Oxford University Press. 2017
- The phonetics of downstep in Abron and Adioukrou. Revealing structure edited by Buckley, E., Crane, T., Good, J. CSLI Publications. 2017
- The Nature(s) of Downstep SLAO/1er Colloque International Humboldt Kolleg. 2016
- Autosegments The Blackwell companion to phonology. Blackwell. 2011
- Phonological reflexes of emphasis in Kwa languages of Cote d'Ivoire West African Linguistics: Papers in Honor of Russell G. Schuh, Studies in African Linguistics. 2006
- Morphophonologie des langues kwa de Côte d’Ivoire Series: Grammatical Analyses of African Languages edited by Leben, W. R. 2006; 29