Current Role at Stanford
Sr. Research Data Scientist
Education & Certifications
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Computer Science (2020)
Master of Science, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Computer Science (2018)
Master of Science, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Computer Engineering (2015)
Causes of Childhood Blindness in the United States using the IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight).
PURPOSE: To investigate causes of childhood blindness in the United States using the IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight).DESIGN: Cross-Sectional Study.PARTICIPANTS: Patients ≤18 years of age with visual acuity 20/200 or worse in their better seeing eye in the IRIS Registry during 2018.METHODS: Causes of blindness were classified by anatomical site and specific diagnoses.MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Percentages of causes of blindness.RESULTS: Of 81,164 children with 2018 visual acuity data in the IRIS Registry, 961 (1.18%) had visual acuity 20/200 or worse in their better-seeing eye. Leading causes of blindness were retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) in 301 (31.3%), nystagmus in 78 (8.1%), and cataract in 64 (6.7%) patients. The retina was the leading anatomic site (47.7%) followed by optic nerve (11.6%) and lens (10.0%). A total of 52.4% of patients had treatable causes of blindness.CONCLUSIONS: This analysis offers a unique cross-sectional view of childhood blindness in the US using a clinical data registry. More than one-half of blind patients had a treatable cause of blindness.
View details for DOI 10.1016/j.ophtha.2023.04.004
View details for PubMedID 37037315
- Negative Insurance Claim Generation Using Distance Pooling on Positive Diagnosis-Procedure Bipartite Graphs ACM JOURNAL OF DATA AND INFORMATION QUALITY 2022; 14 (3)
- Predicting Acute Endophthalmitis for Patients with Cataract Surgery Using Hierarchical and Probabilistic Representation of Clinical Codes INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SEMANTIC COMPUTING 2022
- Identifying Health Insurance Claim Frauds Using Mixture of Clinical Concepts IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SERVICES COMPUTING 2022; 15 (4): 2356-2367
- PrediCatE: Predicting Acute Endophthalmitis for Patients with Cataract Surgery IEEE COMPUTER SOC. 2022: 33-40
- Predicting Personal Attitudes Using Contextual Microblog Activity Logs IEEE. 2020: 263-270